What to Bring to Your VITA Appointment

PLEASE NOTE: You MUST bring (1), (2) or (3), and (4), and (5) or (6). All other items are as they might be applicable to you, but if they are you must bring them.
These items are required by law.  If you arrive at your appointment without these items, we will not be able to prepare your return.

OUR TIME IS VALUABLE.  If you do not show up for your appointment, and do not cancel at least 24 hours prior to your appointment, you will be prohibited from making another appointment this season.

  1. IRS Form 14446, Virtual VITA/TCE Taxpayer Consent: Form 14446 UConn
  2. For U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens, bring a completed Intake/Interview and Quality Review Sheet (IRS Form 13614-C)
  3. Non-Resident Aliens:
    1. bring a completed Nonresident Alien Intake and Interview Sheet
    2. your current Passport
    3. Form I-94, Arrival and Departure Record
    4. All Forms 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
      • PLEASE NOTE if you will be getting this form, we cannot complete your tax return until you have received it.  Please see our “How do I know if I’m getting a Form 1042-S” website to determine if you need to wait for this form.
  4. Proof of identification (photo ID) for all taxpayers to be included on your tax return
    • Please note: if you are married filing jointly, your spouse must be present
  5. Original Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  6. OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter(s) for you, your spouse and your dependents
  7. Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  8. All Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
    • If you work at UConn, you can access your W-2 via Core-CT at ess.uconn.edu.  After logging into Core-CT, in the center of the page under “Payroll” select “View W-2/W-2c Forms.”
  9. If you are a student, bring all current year Fee Bills (spring, summer and fall 2019).  Fee bills for UConn are accessible via Peoplesoft at studentadmin.uconn.edu.  After logging in, navigate to your Student Center and click on “View Fee Bill” under “My Account.”
  10. Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  11. Documentation of property taxes paid on your home or personal property (vehicles)
  12. Documentation of any donations made to U.S. charities
  13. A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available (this is always very helpful!)
  14. Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
  15. To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  16. Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  17. Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Please do not come to the VITA site until you have received all your tax forms. This includes tax documents from all sources of income you received in the current tax year (W-2, 1099-MISC, etc.). For example, if you had more than one part-time job or internship, please wait until you receive tax documents from all of them (or follow up with your respective employer) before coming to get your taxes done.